Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Hello Again!

I told you I was really bad at this! I really will try to do better. ;) Obviously, alot has happened. At the end of May, Pacaya went off, closing the airport for nearly two weeks and two days later Tropical Storm Agatha came in. The mudslides happened all around us. The night it happened, Chris and I heard the rumbling noise but didn't know what it was. The next day, we found out that a mudslide had come down about 50 yards from the wall of our compound. We also found out that they had gone around trying to evacuate San Pedro (our town) but we couldn't understand what they were saying. Here is some of what we saw the day after (which was our anniversary!)



In the towns near us, there were mudslides that destroyed many homes and people were killed. We tried to do what we could by donating boots, clothes, soap, etc. It was so weird to see the devastation around us, but when we went into Antigua, you would hardly know that anything was wrong. We went to Guatemala city five days after Pacaya went off and for the most part, they had cleaned up the few inches of ash that blanketed the city. Apparently, it turns into the consistency of concrete when mixed with rain. It was interesting to see the Burger King employees out sweeping it all into piles, trying to clean up the last of it. With all that happened, we only had to cancel one team!

Sorry, its a little rushed since I have to catch up! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment